Book review – Sanctuary: Surviving the Zombie Apocalyse by Joshua Jared Scott

Posted: January 31, 2013 in Book reviews
Tags: , , , , , ,

Sanctuary: Surviving the Zombie ApocalypseThis is just the sort of book that you might ignore if you saw it on Amazon as the cover is very dull. Sorry here to the author, but it’s not very appealing. Then again, never judge a book by its cover, you have to read the reviews.

Well I had a look through the reviews and they were very balanced and very good. The reviewers were right – this is a right gem of a story.

Basically, it’s a pretty grim post-apocalyptic story. It starts with an event in the early hours of the morning where 25% of the world’s population drop dead. Bad enough as a start you might think, but then 7 minutes later they reanimate and are hungry. So many of the remaining 75% of the world’s population died, and then reanimated,  leaning over their family, friends and loved ones just as they reanimated. This meant that very quickly,  without warning, and whilst some of the world slept, civilisation crumbled.

By the end of the first day, the streets are filled with shambling corpses, looking to feed. This is the story of Jacob and the ramshackle mix of people he meets and rescues along his quest for safety.

There’s no science and no explanation of what has happened, but that really doesn’t matter in this story. There’s the usual mix of characters for such a zombie book but most of them are really well-written and very believable. It’s written in the first person by Jacob, but there are little interludes in-between the chapters with back stories for other characters. I really liked this approach and it didn’t detract from the storyline at all.

There are also a few twists and turns in the book. I found the banter between the key characters to be excellent. I felt that Jacob and Briana’s relationship built really well, until suddenly marriage was talked about. This little bit just seemed a bit at odds with the characters and the story. It really is only a small niggle in the whole book though…

Definitely worth a read. I didn’t want to put it down once I started reading it. And, do you know what? I only paid £1.02 for this excellent book. What a bargain!

I’ve not been able to find out much about the author, other than he does have a collection of horror stories too.

Does anyone have any further info?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s